Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Tip of the week: How to store a small amount of soup

tomsoup

Do you ever make a large batch of soup or broth and wonder if there is a better way to store it? Well, I use this method when I have too much soups, or not enough to can.

tomcubebag

Take your soup and pour it into a clean ice tray or muffin tin. Then stick it in the freezer. When it’s completely frozen, pop it out of the tray and store in a freezer ziplock bag!

tomcubes

That way, you can take out as many cubes or cups (muffin tins you can measure out exact amounts!) as you like! No more thawing a whole jar or container of broth/soup just for the cup you are using. It is also great for small families, or with children who may just want a small bowl.

*note: I tried this method with creamy soups, like potato and it didn’t come out of the tin so well. When doing this in a metal muffin tin, make sure you either grease/spray non stick stuff in the tin first. Or, better yet, invest in some silicone cupcake liners or the muffin trays themselves!

You can do this with gravy, sauces, and just about any liquid-y food that you can freeze.

Hope this helps!

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Ali! I think you are well ahead of the game! Great idea! I will try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those "duh" things, lol! I know my sister-in-law does this with baby food too!

      Delete